Monday, July 11, 2005

Little Bite of the Big Apple


Hello everyone!!! Finally taking the time to create an entry about my recent voyage to New York. Met up with some family and some good friends for a few days of adventure. We stayed at the New Yorker Hotel, a building that also contains the student housing where my little brother Holt had lived for the past month while he attended the New York Film Academy for a summer course. (we went to the screening of his final project while we were there.)

I will complete this entry with the aid of photos in order to heighten your viewing experience. Early in the trip, my family went to "Hello Deli", where we met Rupert, of Late Night with David Letterman fame. (apparently, fame has made him an expressionless robot.)

Next came an eagerly-awaited visit to the new MOMA. We saw some amazing stuff, and to my surprise, my mom was the one slowing us down. She read every plaque and gazed enthralled at nearly every piece. Who knew. We went straight for the Contemporary, Photography, and Architecture and Design sections. The sculpture garden was pretty sweet too.





















Later, I met up with Dan and Ari, two of my best Tulane friends. They met me at Union Square to watch my brother's screening, which was weird and awesome. (good job Holt) Afterwards we broke off from the family and walked through a light drizzle to do some bar-hoppin'. Several hours, numerous beers, a near fight, and one false David Cross sighting later, we were walking through this little grocery for drunken snacks.

We had a great time, as we always have. The next day was spent walking around and shopping near Times Square with my mom and sisters. I got a call from my friend Coralina, who I met during my semester in Florence, and I broke off from the family once again to go to Jones Beach!




All of the sudden, it was the fourth of July. There was a free Matador label concert in Battery Park starring Stephen Malkmus (who I worship) and Yo La Tengo.


Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks

Yo La Tengo

Dan & Ari!!!

Mark!!!

Between the music, the friends I got to see, and the beautiful weather, it was one of the best concerts in the history of the universe. Oh yeah, and I fucking met Steve Malkmus afterwards. It was pretty awkward, as I didn't have any idea of what to say to him, and I shook for a good half hour after the encounter. I can put a check mark next to one of my life goals!

That night my family and I watched fireworks from the apartment of a family friend, but the bittersweet feeling of the eve of departure was thick in the air.

It was an exciting and eventful trip, as visits to New York tend to be. What an amazing place. I mean, I'm glad that I live in Chicago right now, and felt more relaxed when I returned, but New York is such a headspinning wonderland of stimuli, grandeur, and diversity. Blows my mind everytime. Thanks for reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|